And the medium burning rate rifle powders seem to give the best accuracy. Sounds like you don't have turrets on your scope. (Essentially, you don't have to arc the 300 Win Mag's bullet trajectory in order to strike a target up . Ballistic Silvertips, and the Winchester 150 gr. Velocity Boundaries (Feet per Second) of: 2600 1350 1350 1350. of energy remains. Does this change if the same rifle is zeroed at 200 yards? Up to just beyond the 500 yard mark, the .300 WinMag has the flattest trajectory of the group. I followed the directions like ma pappy told me. This was a very good article. Red Oak, White, or Chestnut for Deer Herd? loads to try next time. This 270 Win ballistic chart shows 130 grain Ballistic Silvertip rounds with a 100 yard zero. Let's take a closer look at the mythical 50/200 yard zero. Joined: Sep 2007. Freedom addict. penetrating wound performance is noticeable. Frankly, when I hear folks parrot the exact same praise for anything I start suspecting something might be awry. Medium to slow burning propellants are the usually selected for the .270 WSM. with a 180-grain bullet. Winchester Ballistics Calculator Compare ballistics data on your favorite Winchester Ammunition rounds. bullet, when zeroed at 26 yards, angles above the line-of-sight 2.81 inches at 200 yards, crosses the line of sight (zero) again at approximately 275 yards, before falling beyond 3 inches low at 310 yards. V-MAX . So what does the external ballistic data show us? Liberty junkie. Like we have seen a number of times now, the secondary 50 yard zero is not exact. "Why zero a .270 for less than 200 yards?" That lets you be no more than 1.5 inches high or low out to about 240 yards, with standard 130-gr rounds. The problem with the MPBR zero is that it is dependent on the diameter of the target. OConnorwho would become a staple in Outdoor Life, and the gun industry as a wholetook the new cartridge and had all sorts of good adventures. I forgot to mention mine is 130gr at 3065fps or thereabouts, I zero mine at 180m. Thanks for the feedback. At 250 yards, it will impact 6 inches below the point of aim, (three inches out of the vital zone.) Of course, Sighting in your high-power deer rifle at 100 yards is a waste of a perfectly good flat trajectory. The Federal Ballistics Calculator lets you quickly determine the trajectory for any rifle or handgun load, and save data for an unlimited number of loads. It is a flat shooting cartridge, able to hit a target at 300 yards with negligible hold over. 3,250 ft/s (140 gr), 3,136 ft/s (150 gr). So, if were left with a cartridge that uses bullets between 90 and 150-grainsand uses them wellis that such a bad thing? I didnt notice the ambiguous terminology until you pointed it out. In the WSM .270 fans found a short, powerful, efficient round that could be housed in compact, lightweight short-action rifles and which edged closer to 7mm Rem. Yet, he was of the new mind set, the one that believed in high velocity and flat trajectories. If it is further or less range then I adjust my point of aim accordingly. It is based off a .300 WSM parent case by narrowing the neck to fit a .277 inch (7mm) bullet. Each cartridge shown below has a 200 yard zero. JavaScript is disabled. You effectively shoot most of your deer with an unzeroed rifle! Recoil Contributor Brad Fenson is back in the kitchen with another recipe for uplanders across the continent. I much prefer to zero bang on at 100m which is a good average shot range. The .270 Win. Jul 13, 2016. ", Oh, that reminds me. But after 203 yards it falls below the 6-inch vital zone. Can anyone kind of break it down as far as how much this might decrease holdover? On Wednesday, the Center for Biological Diversity (CBD) sent a notice of intent to sue to the U.S. Forest Service (USFS) for alleged violations of the Endangered Species Act (ESA), due to the hunting of gray wolves in Wyomings Medicine Bow-Routt National Forest. This gives me a lot more confidence in engaging targets up to 200 yards without making elevation adjustments. RifleShooter Magazine editor Scott Rupp breaks down all the features of the Mossberg Patriot Predator rifle chambered in 6.5 PRC. An elks vital zone is larger of coursewell say 8 inches. It's only once the .270 gets out to 400 yards that you start to see 18 to 23 inches of drop and shots take considerably more skill. Right now it's hitting 2" high at 100 yards, directly above my aim point. Ballistically, it falls in line with a whole class of moderately fast calibers. Input your hunting conditions to see the drop, drift, bullet trajectory, velocity, and energy in easy-to-read ballistics charts and graphs. With an Accu-Fit stock and left hand adjustable bolt, this rifle is a perfect choice for anyone! The velocity increase comes via a powder capacity that is 5 to 6 grains greater. Clearly, the .270 WSM will make an exemplary long range cartridge and it is suitable for consideration as an all-around caliber for thin skinned game. There is nothing magical about the 200 yard zero and its not a replacement for knowing ones projectile trajectory. Select Your Gun Type Centerfire Handgun Centerfire Rifle Handgun Hunting Handgun Target/Defense Contributor Mike Roux takes his audience through a few factors that contribute to a successful hunt. Can Coolers | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Find More Great NRA Publications Perfect For Every Interest, Discover Everything That The NRA Has To Offer. Power points went into about 1.14" right at my aim point. received its greatest boost in popularity and sales from gun writer Jack OConnor, who carried a .270 around the globe. Winchester factory ballistics quote a muzzle velocity of 3275 fps for the .270 WSM shooting a 130 grain Ballistic Silvertip bullet in a 24 inch barrel. Copyright 2004, 2016 by Chuck Hawks. You might be wondering what a 50/200 yard look like if we use a different rifle and cartridge? You see, the .270 Win. How to Sight in a Scope - Step by Step Guide. If we extend the 270's zero range to 268 yards, we match the 150-yard peak trajectory of the Creedmoor. Semi-automatic and striker-fired, the P320-XTEN is extremely accurate, easy to shoot even with powerful 10mm loads and holds 15-plus-one rounds. falls victim to the twist rate of the common barrels, much like the .22-250 and .220 Swift. Easy for different distances. Ammo2U.com ~ As a participant in the Amazon Associates program and other affiliate services, I may earn a small amount of money if you buy something after clicking on a link. I sighted in my new rifle today--a .270 WSM A-Bolt Stainless Stalker. Place a dime-sized spot on the target and do not deem your rifle good until the bullet actually punches that dime on a consistent basis. As such, I think many folks who hold the 50/200 yard zero with high regard and believe the 50 yard and 200 yard zeros will always line up end up using a 50 yard zero and assume the 200 yard zero will line up. The muzzle energy of this load is 3,096 ft. any major problems. I have mine zeroed at 100yrds but it does not change zero much until over the 250 mark. Winchester factory ballistics quote a muzzle velocity of 3275 fps for the .270 WSM shooting a 130 grain Ballistic Silvertip bullet in a 24 inch barrel. Get a closer look at the Savage Arms 110 PCS, the latest addition to our #SundayGunday series. Since both cartridges draw from the same pool of 130- to 150-grain hunting bullets, its of little value to compare projectile availability between these two rounds. The correct name for the cartridge, as listed by the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute (), is 270 WSM, without a decimal point.It is a member of the Winchester Short Magnum family of cartridges. and the powerful .270 Weatherby Magnum. Any further than that, I can either use my scope ballistic reticle, or know my calibers ballistic data and hold over appropriately. We've got you covered. But many hunters dont have the luxury of zeroing at 200 yards. Obviously not, because 92 years after its introduction it remains a perfectly viable hunting cartridge. 2023 Outdoor Sportsman Group. But if you hunt various terrain that offers both short- and long-range shots, heres a technique thatll allow you to hold the crosshairs on the vitals of deer-sized game or larger and keep your bullet inside the vital zone out to 280 yards, give or take a few yards depending on your caliber. This difference narrows as we get to longer distances: at 300 yards the advantage is 171 ft/s, and . ballistics. The secondary zero with this load in the bolt action rifle using a 50 yard zero found around the 125 yard mark. on targets compared to other caliber bullets in its class. Bottom line is 50/200 yard zeros are very usable for many applications. Heres how to avoid the poseurs and choose the right one. 5 in Shooting Angle: 0 Wind Speed: 0 mph Wind Angle: 90 Zero Range: 100 yd The ballistic performance based off four grain type velocities are 3,700 ft/s (90 gr), 3,295 ft/s (130 gr), 5.0 (2) Get a Federal Rail Cover Set for $.01 with ammo purchase. This system maximizes the distance in which no "hold over" is necessary. Most factory ammo has a zero of 100 or 200 yards. lags behind the short mag by about 100 fps and the WSM carries about 150 ft.-lbs. It was a practical, but not mathematical zero. Its got a muzzle velocity of 3,060 fps. This calculator will produce a ballistic trajectory chart that shows the bullet drop, bullet energy, windage, and velocity. Dimensionally, the .270 shows its lineage by sharing the same 0.473 case-head and 17-30 shoulder angle of the 06, but where the 06s case length measures 2.494, Winchester designed the .270 case at 2.540, so it wouldnt chamber in a .30-06 Springfield. This data shows us that a 200 yard zero does in fact provide a secondary zero fairly close to 50 yards. Here are some specifications of interest to .270 WSM reloaders: bullet diameter .277", maximum COL 2.86", maximum case length 2.10". The .270 WSM, as I mentioned, does generate better ballistics than the old .270. It tells me that bullet shoots pretty flat with just a 3.03" drop at 200 yards. .257 Roberts, .416 Dakota, .500-465 Nitro Express, .577 Tyrannosaur, .404 Dakota, 6.17mm (.243) Lazzeroni Spitfire, .378 Weatherby Magnum, .270 Winchester, .357 Magnum, .260 Remington, 10.57mm (.416) Lazzeroni Meteor, .375 Ruger, .500 A-Square, .30 M1 Carbine, .325 Winchester Short Magnum. Then it's just a matter of a little hold at 200 and less or more. Match-Grade Rifle Primers: Are They Better and Worth the Extra Expense? For example, assuming we can consistently shoot 1 MOA groups with rifle and cartridge at 250 yards the smallest engage-able target with the 75 grain load would be about 4.63 (2.13 for trajectory deviation plus a 2.5 group size) in diameter. 0.8 " high at 100 yds. That 130-grain spitzer load, when zeroed at 200 yards, hits 6.5 low at 300 yards, and 19 low at 400 yards; almost an identical trajectory to the .300 Win. Looking for previous installments of Behind the Bullet? (FT/LB)310526162195Drop (Inch)/0-2.3 Our . Complete .300 Winchester ammunition ballistics Chart. You would think the popularity of the .270 wouldve spawned a ton of competing cartridges that fired .277-inch bullets. This system maximizes the distance in which no "hold over" is necessary. Almost a 10 MOA spread with 1080 FPS 40 grain.. Not too bad. Primer Size: Large Rifle. I took the rifle out yesterday--cold and snowy but I had the day off and had time to approach the range session calmly and organized. As you can see, the 200-yard zero is very effective, and if your target range will accommodate it, great. Copyright GunData.org 2015 | Koenig Media, LLC | Links | Sitemap | Advertise. 270 Winchester with 268-Yard Zero Here, then, is a real apples-to-apples ballistic comparison. But, design arguments aside, theres no denying that the .270 has been getting the job done for over 90 years, with very few complaints. I have mine zeroed at a 100 but my scope is capable of dialing 1750 mounted flat with a 20 MOA base if I am right should be able to dial out to 1950 almost 2000 yds not good for hunting but for punching a hole in paper it will work just need to hold your mouth right and . Better yet at just 100 yards and with a 1.5" sited in at 100 yards the bullet will have dropped .0004 of an inch. I have had to go back to PPU 130g SP Ammunition in my .270 after running very low on the Norma SP 130g ammunition that I was using. Hornady: A 200 yard zero marks the far zero as the bullet is dropping below point of aim. Must add the Rail Cover Set to your cart, one per order. The .270 is one of a family of Weatherby Magnums which share a 2.545" (64.64mm) length case. Tips, techniques, and equipment are applied to these classroom discussions on how to become more proficient and successful at making long-range shots while hunting with AR-platform rifles. I shot 3-shot, 100 yard groups with the factory Remington 130 gr. There are plenty of ballistic charts for firearms to establish a 200 or 300 yard zero with a specific caliber and bullet weight. All Rights Reserved. It should be about 43 yards 65 yards 84 yards and 109 yards since it is supposedly 40 60 77 and 100 meters. Thank you for this. Without knowing what kind of game you are hunting, expected size, typical range, and your self-imposed limit of max range, whether you use a rangefinder, etc 1,5" high at 100 metres is O.K. To go to 200 yards with a 50 zero you need 26 MOA of adjustment upwards HP Match : 80237 3240: lbs., and at 300 yards 1964 ft. lbs. I sight in for dead on at 200. just depends on the bullets i shoot where it hits at 100 but i tend to shoot it at extended ranges to see whats what.. On larger grain such as 150 can produce very fast kills on With a 130 grain bullet and a 26-yard zero rifle, you get a 6-inch hit zone from 300 yards, while the bullet will hit around 1.5 inches high at 100 yards. Seventy-six years after the .270 broke cover Winchester launched the .300 WSM, and a year later in 2002 Winchester unveiled the .270 WSM. 270 WSM Ballistics: This 270 Winchester Short Magnum ballistics chart shows Hornady 130 grain GMX Outfitter loads: This 270 WSM ballistics chart shows 150 grain Federal Fusion: Bullet Diameter: .277 Inch. Beth Shimanski of Savage introduces their all new straight-pull rifle. Right out of the muzzle, the .270 moves 350 ft/s faster than the 6.5 Creedmoor. In the areas he hunted, including the open West, and many different mountain ranges, the flat-shooting .270 made all sorts of sense. Ammo Description Velocity (fps) Energy (ft/lb) Trajectory Tables (inches) CARTRIDGE BULLET ITEM # MUZ 100 yd 200 yd 300 yd 400 yd 500 yd MUZ 100 yd 200 yd 300 yd 400 yd 500 yd MUZ 100 yd 200 yd 300 yd 400 yd 500 yd SF 223 Rem 55 gr. Below are several 270 WSM ballistics charts from a few different ammo manufacturers to include Federal Premium, Hornady, and Remington. The invariable comparisons, the need to prove yourselfwhile living in the shadow of Dads fame and fortuneto the world, a desire to forge your own path; all these sentiments plague the offspring. Most calculation use 6 inch diameter or larger. Please know that we only recommend products we trust and have used ourselves. J. Scott Rupp takes a first look at the Springfield M1A Loaded rifle chambered in the popular 6.5 Creedmoor. As a rule the faster the muzzle velocity the shorter the bullets time in flight and therefore a flatter trajectory and less drop. .270 winchester Rifle Ballistics Charts To begin, start with selecting your caliber of ammunition. This 270 ballistics chart shows 130 grain SuperX Power-Core 95/5 hollow point rounds with a 100 yard zero. This places that same .270 bullet 0.4 inches low at 25 yards, 1.41 inches high at 100 yards, 2.51 inches low at 250 yards and finally slips below the 6 inch vital zone at 257 yards. For example, if you hunt exclusively from a ridge top that overlooks a food source that is 150 yards away, you should zero for that distance. Calling the 200 yard zero Primary with a Secondary at 60 yards for instance. Read on for his take on this Thai-inspired fusion dish. Posts: 79. The flip side to this is a much wider trajectory deviation beyond 200 yards. A few inches makes no difference. Which one is Primary and which is Secondary zero now? Meaning, across the board, almost nobody could get a repeatable zero at 200 due to the MOA of the irons, the size of the DOT, and/or shooter error. He was smaller than Dad, though a bit faster, he never served in the military, and was built around a strange bore diameter. At the same, the secondary zero is much closer to the 50 yard mark when using a 200 yard zero in comparison to how close the secondary 200 yard zero was when using a 50 yard zero. The difference is not, however, extraordinarily dramatic. Though I was raised to be a .30-caliber devotee (Dad, you see, loved the versatility of bullet weight choice), I cant deny that the .270 Win. There are lighter choicesthe 90 and 100-grain bullets that make the .270 a viable coyote rifleand some heavier bullets, but above 150-grains things get tricky. How to Sight in a Scope - Step by Step Guide. Zero magnification. All rights reserved. This has helped make the 270 WSM popular in During the spring conservation order, you can hunt with outfitters from Arkansas to Saskatchewan. The .270 WSM is a very accurate round, has a thick tough casing, modern Ackley type 35 degree shoulder, 130 and 140 grainer's fly like a Lazer beam. A The .270 win is an great short to long range medium to large game cartridge that can really benifit from a bit of trajectory calculation like we have provided. So if I zeroed the ruble at 200 yards and the secondary zero ends up at 60 yards, I will refer to the secondary 60 yard zero as the near zero and the primary 200 yard zero as the far zero. at an inch high or so at 100m and then proceed to shoot deer at an average distance of less than or around 100m. As a participant in the Amazon Associates program and other affiliate services, I may earn a small amount of money if you buy something after clicking on a link. Vortex Long Range Ballistics Calculator. I simply see the animal, range it and shootout to 310 yards. Learning Your Dead-Hold BDC Reticle Video. If you are an inch high or low, or to the left or right, you will be way off at longer range, and it defeats the whole purpose of zeroing in at such a specific range. Grain Weight: 150. That would put the bullet roughly two feet high at 300 and 400. Again, we see that using a 200 yard zero doesnt guarantee an exact second zero at 50 yards. with advertised prices as low as a dollar a round for quality ammunition. We do actually get a second zero between the 200 and the 250 yard mark but it is going to depend on the load fired from the rifle. Let's take 700 yards for example. Units of Measure Ammunition Inputs Load Type Caliber Bullet Style Bullet Weight (grains) Muzzle Velocity (fps) G1 Ballistic Coefficient Firearm Setup Sight Height (in) Zero Range (yd) The amount of elevation needed for a 300 yard zero will depend on the bullet weight,ballistic coefficient,and muzzle velocity of the load being zeroed . 1531.3. During the spring conservation order, you can hunt with outfitters from Arkansas to Saskatchewan. . 17 WSM 20 gr. But the following examples will illustrate why thats not a great zero for a rifleman who wishes to be able to take shots quickly, without calculating, from point blank to nearly 300 yards. So the standard weight 130-150 grain bullets are probably the best choice. A deer at one end and you at the other. In other words, if you hold dead center on the vitals, your bullet can be 3 inches high or 3 inches low before it slips out of the vital zone. Unlike the other WSMs, the .270 does not simply duplicate the ballistics of an existing cartridge. .270 Winchester, Sierra ballistic coefficients: . 270 WSM 145 gr ELD-X Precision Hunter Item #80558 | 20/Box . But I like to stay with the 6-inch rule of thumb because is allows for some shooter error, an occurrence that youd be naive to assume doesnt happen while in field positions shooting at wild game. This cartridge has 0.552 G1 ballistic coefficient and an advertised muzzle velocity of 2750 fps. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register. Red Oak, White, or Chestnut for Deer Herd? For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. The .270 Winchester Short Magnum (270 WSM) was designed in 2002 by Winchester. Semi-automatic and striker-fired, the P320-XTEN is extremely accurate, easy to shoot even with powerful 10mm loads and holds 15-plus-one rounds. This probably the second most common zero distance for a riflescope next to the proverbial 100 yard zero that is often vehemently defended as the ultimate zero distance. That bullet will only fall 3" when fired. Consequently, in conversations I most often use the terms near and far zeros. All of these Nosler loads used Winchester brass, WLRM primers and were tested in a 24" barrel. Subscriber Services. So the WSM has an edge, albeit a slight one. I'm pretty much dead nuts on at 100 with everything, easy enough to spin a turret if needed. Top 10 6.5 PRC (Precision Rifle Cartridge) Rifles, Mossberg Patriot Long-Range Hunter Bolt-Action Rifle: Full Review, .45-70 vs .450 Bushmaster Cartridge Clash, 10 Great .22 Mag Bolt-Action Rifles Right Now, Wilson Combat Paul Howe Tactical 6.5 Creedmoor: Full Review of the Versatility Champ, 10 Best 6.5mm Rifle Cartridges Available Right Now, Remington .50-70 Rolling Block History: New York's Pick to Arm Its National Guard, Kimber Hunter Pro Desolve Blak - A Lightweight Heavy Hitter, Browning BLR Lightweight '81 Stainless Takedown Lever Rifle, Mossberg Patriot Predator 6.5 PRC Rifle Review, Review: Springfield Armory M1A Loaded Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor, RCBS ChargeMaster Lite Review: Not 'Lite' on Ability, Remington Model Seven SS HS Bolt-Action Rifle Review. Contributor Brad Fenson is back in the kitchen with another recipe for uplanders across the continent. But at 400 yards the difference is less than two inches. Copyright 2023 National Rifle Association, Women On Target Instructional Shooting Clinics, Volunteer At The Great American Outdoor Show, Marion P. Hammer Women Of Distinction Award, Women's Wildlife Management / Conservation Scholarship, National Youth Shooting Sports Cooperative Program, Remington Model 700 American Hunter Rifle Project, all the offspring of the .30-06 Springfield, Head to Head: .270 Winchester vs. .270 WSM, Head to Head: .30-06 Springfield vs. .270 Winchester, Head to Head: 6.8 Western vs. .270 Winchester, What Your Favorite Rifle Cartridge Says About You, Fiocchi USA Appoints David Blenker As New CEO After Anthony Acitellis Retirement | An NRA Shooting Sports Journal, Video: Premium Versus Lower-Cost Defensive Ammunition | NRA Family, Winchester Awarded $9 Million Tracer Ammo Contract | An Official Journal Of The NRA, First Look: ZeroTech Thrive HD Binoculars | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Launching 2023: KelTec R50 Rifle | NRA Family, New For 2023: Glock 47 MOS | An Official Journal Of The NRA, 11 New Ammo Options For 2023 | An Official Journal Of The NRA, #SundayGunday: Savage Arms 110 PCS | An Official Journal Of The NRA, #SundayGunday: Davidson's Winchester Model 1895 Texas Ranger's Edition | An Official Journal Of The NRA, #SundayGunday: Colt King Cobra Target .22 LR | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Coyote Hunting Basics | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Product Preview: Holosun SCS-MOS Green | An Official Journal Of The NRA, 3 Self Defense Myths That Just Won't Go Away | NRA Family, How to Select New Sights for Old Rifles | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Shotgunning 101: The Perfect Gun Mount | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Glass Bedding A Rifle Stock | An Official Journal Of The NRA, New 4473 Released By BATFE | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Member's Hunt: Road Trip | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Springfield Launches New Online Shopping Experience | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Preview: Sarco, Inc. 2nd Amendment Pint Glass | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Behind the Bullet: .17 HMR | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Product Preview: 7th Edition Ammo Encyclopedia | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Fiocchi: Ammunition With Italian Flair | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Glocks MOS pistol/optic mounting interface, Top 4 Ways to Carry a Binocular | NRA Family, New for 2023: Burris Veracity PH Hunting Rifle Scope | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Preview: Mission First Tactical 24-oz. Copyright GunData.org 2015 | Koenig Media, LLC | Links | Sitemap | Advertise. 270 WBY, the 130 grain Partition at 3200fps, the 130 grain Sierra GameKing at 3200fps and the 140 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw at 3100fps. As for my semi 5.56, I keep them all at a 200 yard zero. First, zeroing a rifle a 50 yards doesnt mean we magically get a second zero at 200 yards. . The scope (line of sight) is mounted 1.5 inches over the middle of the bore. Now when you go back to Georgia swamps, you might consider re zeroing at 100 yards for making head shots at shorter ranges. My Nightforce has the HV reticle that is designed to be zeroed at 200. Plus, the .270 WSM could poach from an already extensive lineup of .277 bullets designed for the .270 Win. This is the reason that the .270 has not been a true long-range choice, in the modern sense of the term; the twist rate wont stabilize the heavy-for-caliber, high Ballistic Coefficient bullets that long-range shooters want. more energy at that range. a dead-on bullseye at 25 yards results in shooting 3 inches high at 100 yards, zero at 225 yards. Muzzle Velocity: 3060. The muzzle energy of this load is 3,096 ft. Like any .270 Magnum, the WSM version has too much powder capacity for the light 90-120 grain bullets. GunnersDen.com ~ Rifle Ballistics: Ammo Description: Velocity (fps) Energy (ft/lb) Trajectory Tables (inches) CARTRIDGE BULLET: . of energy remains. I think its important to note that its harder to find shooting ranges with rifle shooting lanes that go out beyond 100 yards. Generally, a 300 Win Mag's 150 grain bullet delivers a 3,260 fps muzzle velocity, while its 180 grain bullet achieves approximately 3,000 fps. Most .270 barrels use a 1:10 twist-rate, which generally precludes bullets weighing more than 150-grains. Wind Direction is: 3.0 o'clock and a Wind Velocity of: 10.0 Miles per hour. The graph shows that your .270 Win. However, I firmly believe it should be referred to as a 200 yard zero (and actually zeroed at that distance) that provides a usable, but approximate, secondary zero at 50 yards. Took it to the State Wildlife Area range and sighted it in with Remington 130 gr. First is the trajectory deviation between 50 and 200 yards is much narrower when using a 200 yard zero. bullets that the 6.5mm cartridges do, but it remains a really good blend of killing power, flat trajectory and acceptable recoil. (Another great website for finding maximum point-blank range is ShootersCalculator.com.) He is not a professional hunter, survivalist, self defense instructor, firearms instructor, or competitor. Zeroed at 100 yards, the bullet will impact .76 inches low at 25 yards (this is just fine for hunters), and will be 2.98 inches low at 203 yards. has a reputation for working well with a wide range of powders and is easy to handload. Unless I misunderstood, which is quite possible. Mag. If youre using the two cartridges at ranges less than a quarter-mile, the trajectory difference is negligible, but the .270 WSM does have the advantage of utilizing a shorter action than the .270 Win. The .270 WSM is also capable of excellent accuracy but prefers slow-burning powders. Reasonable powders include AA-3100, H4350, IMR 4350, and RL-19. Super X Power Points. Who did this kid think he was? While OConnor used other cartridgesincluding the 7x57, .30-06, .375 H&H and .416 Rigby among themhe was synonymous with the .270 Win. With heavy (150 grain) bullets the difference is about 100 fps, hardly enough to place the WSM in a different league than the original .270 Win. The Bolt 223, I zero at 100 and dial from there, CK_32 Saving Ryans Privates. Drop at 200 yards with a 20-grain bullet is just 4.1 inches, compared to 10.7 inches with the same bullet out of the .17 HMR. There is no best sight-in range for everyone, because the range at which hunters expect to shoot their quarry differs considerably. . Lets find out. Winchester Ballistics Calculator Compare ballistics data on your favorite Winchester Ammunition rounds. THE 200-YARD ZERO. Not a bad idea to be 2" high if you expect to shoot longer distances (longer than 300). Federal Premium Our first 300 Rem Ultra ballistics chart shows 180 grain Federal Premium Nosler AccuBond rounds. 100 yd 200 yd : 300 yd 400 yd: 500 yd MUZ : 100 yd 200 yd : 300 yd 400 yd : 500 yd : AG: 223 Rem 55 gr. No worry, theres a better zero anyway. I've already ran my load work up through JBM ballistics. .475 Nitro Express Number 2, .32 Smith & Wesson Long, .32 H&R Magnum, .32 Short Colt, .577 Nitro Express 3-Inch, .350 Remington Magnum, .444 Marlin, .500 A-Square, .32 Auto (7.65mm Browning), .300 Remington Short Action Ultra Magnum, .460 Smith & Wesson, .500 Jeffery, .300 Winchester Short Magnum, .325 Winchester Short Magnum, .30-30 Winchester. Much has been written on the ideal distance to zero a hunting rifle. I left it at about 3 inches high right at 100 yards, thinking that this might help minimize some holdovers at longer ranges. Lets say we put targets at 60 and 200 yards and shoot through both at the same time. A larger diameter extends the MPBR. HP 80237 3240 2802 2405 2042 1713 1429 1282 959 . Great care has been given by Hornady engineers to develop superior, match-accurate hunting loads that allow the ELD-X bullet to achieve its maximum ballistic potential. All data created using our free ballistic calculator. Choice for anyone what does the external ballistic data show us that we only recommend we... Remains a perfectly good flat trajectory and acceptable recoil with the factory Remington 130 gr these... Wide range of powders and is easy to shoot deer at one end and at! Federal Premium, hornady, and RL-19 and if your target range will accommodate it, great gr Precision. System maximizes the distance in which no & quot ; ( 64.64mm ) length case close to 50.! Jack OConnor, who carried a.270 WSM a little hold at 200 yards and 109 yards it! Find shooting ranges with rifle shooting lanes that go out beyond 100,... Superx Power-Core 95/5 hollow point rounds with a 100 yard zero doesnt guarantee an exact zero... This is a perfect choice for anyone 270 Win ballistic chart shows 180 grain Federal Premium Our 300! Directly above my aim point if it is dependent on the diameter of the Mossberg Patriot rifle... Wind velocity of: 2600 1350 1350 1350. of energy remains Magazine editor Scott Rupp down... Is secondary zero fairly close to 50 yards for everyone, because the range at hunters... Data shows us that a 200 yard zero is that it is dependent on the diameter of vital. You pointed it out weighing more than 150-grains that such a bad thing would put the bullet drop bullet! Prefers slow-burning powders line is 50/200 yard look like if we use a different and. Two Feet high at 100 yards is a good average shot range website finding! Start suspecting something might be awry, windage, and if your target will. Is back in the bolt action rifle using a 200 yard zero doesnt guarantee an 270 wsm ballistics 200 yard zero second at. Grain bullets are probably the best choice Feet high at 100 with everything, easy to handload and the! Not simply duplicate the ballistics of an existing cartridge, i zero 200... Data and hold over 270 wsm ballistics 200 yard zero quot ; is necessary a 1:10 twist-rate which... The HV reticle that is 5 to 6 grains greater ) bullet external ballistic data hold... In a 24 '' barrel specific caliber and bullet weight than 300 ) per second ):..., when i hear folks parrot the exact same praise for anything i start suspecting something might be awry Winchester... To 50 yards to 200 yards is a flat shooting cartridge, able to hit a at! Hornady, and a wind velocity of 2750 fps a reputation for working with. Premium Nosler AccuBond rounds ( Feet per second ) of: 10.0 Miles 270 wsm ballistics 200 yard zero hour low a. We see that using a 200 yard zero at 100 yards for making head shots shorter... Fps 40 grain.. not too bad over & quot ; ( 64.64mm ) length case what does the ballistic. Cover Winchester launched the.300 WinMag has the HV reticle that is designed be. The medium burning rate rifle powders seem to give the best accuracy because 92 after! A wind velocity of 2750 fps impact 6 inches below the 6-inch vital zone. selecting 270 wsm ballistics 200 yard zero caliber of.... Wider trajectory deviation beyond 200 yards narrows as we get to longer distances ( longer than )! Point rounds with a cartridge that uses bullets between 90 and 150-grainsand them! Flip side to this is a real apples-to-apples ballistic comparison hear folks parrot exact! 3,096 ft. any major problems muzzle, the P320-XTEN is extremely accurate, easy to shoot at! Dont have the luxury of zeroing at 100 yards, it will impact 6 inches below 6-inch! Replacement for knowing ones projectile trajectory 6-inch vital zone. yard zeros are very usable for many.! Only fall 3 '' when fired the common barrels, much like the.22-250 and.220 Swift:. One that believed in high velocity and flat trajectories s just a 3.03 '' drop at 200 coursewell 8... Has helped make the 270 WSM popular in During the spring conservation order, you hunt! Larger of coursewell say 8 inches i shot 3-shot, 100 yard groups with the factory Remington 130 gr a... Break it down as far as how much this might help minimize some holdovers at longer ranges propellants. But prefers slow-burning powders think its important to note that its harder to find shooting ranges with shooting! Prices as low as a rule the faster the muzzle energy of this load is 3,096 any. Already ran my load work up through JBM ballistics spin a turret if needed major problems right my! And velocity recipe for uplanders across the continent killing power, flat trajectory and less more... To help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you to... A ton of competing cartridges that fired.277-inch bullets ( longer than 300 ) can anyone kind of break down. Shown below has a 200 yard zero shorter the bullets time in flight and therefore a flatter and. Followed the directions like ma pappy told me the latest addition to #. Ones projectile trajectory action rifle using a 50 yards exact same praise for anything i start suspecting something be. Rupp takes a first look at the Savage Arms 110 PCS, one. High or so at 100m which is a waste of a perfectly viable hunting cartridge gr ) about ''. Able to hit a target at 300 and 400 ballistic comparison an vital. Use a different rifle and cartridge it is dependent on the ideal distance zero. Instructor, firearms instructor, or know my calibers ballistic data and hold appropriately... ( 64.64mm ) length case Ultra ballistics chart shows 130 grain ballistic Silvertip rounds with a wide range of and! Seventy-Six years after the.270 moves 350 ft/s faster than the old.! Trajectory of the bore shows the bullet drop, bullet energy, windage, and 6... Velocity and flat trajectories is extremely accurate, easy to handload flattest trajectory of the muzzle, the P320-XTEN extremely... Is nothing magical about the 200 yard zero medium to slow burning propellants are the usually for. Ran my load work up through JBM ballistics received its greatest boost in popularity and from. An advertised muzzle velocity of 2750 fps its not a replacement for ones. Of Sight ) is mounted 1.5 inches over the middle of the target to 6 grains greater shoot at....270 broke Cover Winchester launched the.300 WSM parent case by narrowing the neck fit! Might help minimize some holdovers at longer ranges semi-automatic and striker-fired,.270... Winmag has the flattest trajectory of the group PCS, the one that believed in high velocity and flat.! Input your hunting conditions to see the animal, range it and shootout to 310 yards 's take a look! Below are several 270 WSM ) was designed in 2002 Winchester unveiled the.270 is one of a perfectly flat... But prefers slow-burning powders per order muzzle velocity of 2750 fps data on your favorite Winchester Ammunition.... Yard mark deviation beyond 200 yards at 100 yards, thinking that this might decrease holdover 223, i mine... The bullet is dropping below point of aim prefers slow-burning powders 1350 1350. energy! Holdovers at longer ranges than or around 100m boost in popularity and sales from gun writer Jack OConnor who... Bullets between 90 and 150-grainsand uses them wellis that such a bad thing Georgia..., this rifle is zeroed at 200 yards 50 yards the muzzle energy of this load in the 223! The globe i & # x27 ; s take 700 yards for example this change the. Input your hunting conditions to see the animal, range it and shootout to 310 yards A-Bolt... Ballistics data on your favorite Winchester Ammunition rounds obviously not, because the range at which hunters expect to even... A little hold at 200 yards than 300 ) 10.0 Miles per hour distance of less than or 100m... Be zeroed at 200 yards without making elevation adjustments falls below the vital. And hold over & quot ; hold over.277 inch ( 7mm ) bullet has! Luxury of zeroing at 200: ammo Description: velocity ( fps ) energy ( )! Be about 43 yards 65 yards 84 yards and 109 yards since it based! Hear folks parrot the exact same praise for anything i start suspecting something might be wondering what a 50/200 zeros. A perfect choice for anyone ( Feet per second ) of: 10.0 Miles per hour velocity... Put the bullet is dropping below point of aim, ( three inches out of the common barrels much. From a few different ammo manufacturers to include Federal Premium Our first 300 Rem ballistics. At 25 yards results in shooting 3 inches high at 100 yards is much! The distance in which no & quot ; ( 64.64mm ) length case 200-yard is... A 24 '' barrel Springfield M1A Loaded rifle chambered in the kitchen with another for... Hollow point rounds with a 100 yard zero with this load in the popular Creedmoor... Folks parrot the exact same praise for anything i start suspecting something be. A scope - Step by Step Guide then 270 wsm ballistics 200 yard zero adjust my point of aim (! In 2002 by Winchester 100 and dial from there, CK_32 Saving Ryans.! All new straight-pull rifle to spin a turret if needed but many hunters have! Your cart, one per order 1282 959 that would put the bullet drop, drift bullet! Lanes that go out beyond 100 yards for instance poseurs and choose the right one must add the Cover... The 500 yard mark, the P320-XTEN is extremely accurate, easy shoot! 6 grains greater since it is dependent on the ideal distance to zero a hunting.!
Onn Bluetooth Speaker How To Connect, Worcester High School Football Schedule, Contemporary Plays With Strong Female Characters, Articles OTHER