Guaranteed not to Rust, Bust, Collect Dust, Chip, Peel or Leak at the Seal! Honda engines today boast of a manual choke that is specially inserted into the throttle control and cable. I can however see the choke open and close when pushed all the way foreword. The throttle lever is connected to a cable that runs to your carburetor. I had several honda walk-behinds that had guverner problems. The mower takes less than 1 quart. Part 1 Accessing the Air Fuel Mixture Screw 1 Start the engine and let it run for 5 minutes to warm it up. Finally, the carburetor will have to be reassembled. 0000003763 00000 n If you go for it I suggest replacing the entire internal governor because although maybe only one piece is broken there may be damage to the rest. Thanks. . Gasoline can begin to deteriorate within three to four weeks, so use these if you only mow every couple of weeks: Carburetors are an essential and often overlooked part of a lawn mower. Remove the spark plug wire from the spark plug. Move the throttle to SLOW and let the engine idle for a few seconds. 0000003419 00000 n If that doesnt fix it, have the engine looked at by an authorized dealer. Download or purchase Honda Engine owners' manuals for the GCV190. . direction the governor arm moved to open the throttle. Do you have any ideas or suggestions on what it may be? Place the engine upright with the cylinder head cover facing up. I want to do this rite one time. Move the controllever to the maximum engine speed position, and check the maximum engine speed.Maximum speed (no load):2,900 - 3,000 min-1 (rpm) (European model, with flywheel brake)3,100 150 min-1 (rpm) (Except for European model). Includes, lawn mowers, tillers, pressure washers, etcClick here to buy a Tachometer---- https://amzn.to/2L8z0KzClick here for my website--- http://www.stevessmallenginesaloon.com/Click here for my Parts and Tools Store---- https://www.amazon.com/shop/stevessmallenginesaloonIf I saved you some money with this video, please consider supporting my efforts with a donation----- https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick\u0026hosted_button_id=JRVNJVHEDHRD2Dont forget to SUBSCRIBE here---- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpqca7L2YYDN-BIHUQ2TfAA/?sub_confirmation=1 Dont forget to click the to turn on Video Notifications for more money saving videos, featuring all the top brands like Stihl, Husky, Husqvarna, Echo, Honda, Briggs and Stratton, John Deere, Craftsman, MTD, AYP, etc. Toro Lawn Mower Wont Start: Why and How to Fix, Whirlpool Washer Repeating Cycle/Keeps Draining/Shuts Off/Not Working. 0000003135 00000 n Once the engine is warm, move the choke lever to the OFF position. 0000031900 00000 n Every hole needs to be clear of dirt. The throttle butterfly in the carb is just a crack more then at idle. The throttle lever on your Honda lawn mower controls the revolutions per minute, or rpm, of the engine. 0000086773 00000 n <<4F9F6E1F27C31D449C3D347C0FAA8D0B>]>> Back in the day, lawnmowers had a throttle. 0000029345 00000 n I'm a fair shadetree mechanic but I can't see why the choke isn't closing. 0000072552 00000 n Shut the engine off and remove the air cleaner from the top of the engine by using a pair of pliers to remove the nut on top of the air cleaner. Fastest, easiest and quickest way to set or adjust the governor on a Honda GC160 or GC190 small engine. Our Honda GCV160 throttle and governor linkage has somehow gotten FUBAR. If you get a minute, could you $.02 on my last post. ReadyToDIY is the owner of this article. 0000000016 00000 n 0000008945 00000 n Move the choke control cable to the ON position. It contains the solvents you need to clean out the gunk, and the spray will blast away dirt and deposits. As an affiliate of retailers(like Amazon), we earn from qualifying purchases. 0000003542 00000 n Cheers, Gadge "ODK Mods can explain it to you, but they can't understand it for you." "Crazy can be medicated, ignorance can be educated - but there is no cure for stupid." Re: HONDA GCV160 Choke won't close All trademarks appearing on this page are the property of their respective owners. 0000003586 00000 n 0000003454 00000 n 146 Apr 17, 2015 / Honda GCV160 throttle linkage adjustment #1 Our Honda GCV160 throttle and governor linkage has somehow gotten FUBAR. My question is, after I unbolt the two halves of the motor, will the piston need to be removed from the cylinder or will all the parts (camshaft etc) stay with the upper half once the crankshaft is slid up through the oil seal in the bottom of the oil pan. Once the engine is warm, move the choke lever to OFF and set the throttle to the desired speed. I have a honda hrb216 hxaa mower with a gcv160 engine. If the carb is dirty, adjustments will be temporary. A dirty air filter can affect how well your mower runs better. Then loosen the bolt on the bottom and take out the bowl. Location Top of Virginia Mar 7, 2005 #2 1) To change the oil, remove the threaded oil dipstick and tip the mower. I'm a homeowner and I like to do things myself. It poured fuel for a second or two and quit. A good video on how to adjust a Honda Lawnmower's governor. The float bowl is at the bottom of the carburetor. After you get it out, you should clean it with the carb cleaner. If it dies then we'll just get a new powerwasher since repairs are starting to add up and this one is 7 yrs old now. The gov needs repairing. Keep reading to find out how a carburetor works, what could be causing different problems, as well as preventative measures. On the crankshaft there is a gear that drives the governor. While its fun and sometimes more cost effective to Do It Yourself. Move the flywheel brake lever to the RUN position. This Honda mower is just like mine. %%EOF Tighten the nut on the governor arm. 2022 LawnMowerForum.com. Loosen this screw a little. 0000002323 00000 n Oct 21, 2012. Slide the throttle lever into the "choke" position. If it is internal, throw it away. HUmO8_1a5qN'PiI|qqa;vv%,)HjBd(1 cJHT 9d/vd-0$s&4v#DiU`R#R6Y;{1A]aB$1FFF@9+/j! All case bond type sealents are pretty similar, they are intended for this sort of application where engine parts are machined to closer tolerences and use no gaskets. %PDF-1.4 % This is a removable plastic style jet found on the front of the carburetor. Where would be the best place to order parts from if I decided to repair it myself. When removing the cylinder head cover, pry off slowly at each corner of the head cover. Is there a screw adjustment somewhere that I am missing? Adjustments to a Honda lawn mower's carburetor should be made after it has been cleaned. Fuel with higher ethanol or methanol content can cause problems with the mowers performance. Hello crosstalk, just wanted to jump in and say welcome to MLF. HVn6+,lD\4hn~VOI@kH<>q|~ePt+U1 $iu4cseh9',$4}"Raf1Ve\'tL2 !C=>stFF~ARaTIq/N:2bAy". BX\mvyt.zEcS"8buVOp!C6 r{za,pbwf_H7|}\J;}{St,*`(1vn^ ly%RlQ}DY[X>mu33 V^[}w[$7Cn_l;jG{w*l+H aMhB4OanLF:z8J^J=NYh SX_=o{^)"84gOfNX{Sv*T- 7: 0000003026 00000 n Honda Harmony 1011 H1011K1 H1011RK1 H1011S H1011R H1011HS H1011 HT-R H1011S SA H1011 SAC H1011 SA H1011H SAC H1011HK1 SAC. You will need some screwdrivers, a wrench, a carb cleaner, and an hour or two. If you choose to try one of the suggestions made in this video, you do so at your own risk. Avoid E85 at all costs because Honda considers it an alternative fuel since it is 85% ethanol and only 15% gasoline. Sometimes this cable needs adjustment in order for you to have maximum engine efficiency. 0000019062 00000 n I am going to repair this myself, but like you said, I should have all the parts to complete the job before starting. I was having a problem adjusting my idle. The choke return spring is stiff and requires more of a push than the linkage is giving it. If I remember correctly, the control lever wasn't reliably contacting the stop switch before I made the current adjustment. You can do this, but if there are parts loose in the crankcase the engine may not last very long. 0000106750 00000 n This is a much more complicated procedure and could take an hour or more. I will not have to split the case after all. The scrap yard was paying well for aluminum, so they said they could fix them, and even gave me money for both of them!I didn't see where they worked on them, but i did see a grand pile of scrap aluminum out back of the building. Tighten lock nut - pull out the slack and tighten. There are several versions of this engine with different starting and stopping procedures, but there a few things that remain the same across the model range: Heres how you start each version of the GCV 160: Flywheel Brake/Remove Choke/Fixed Throttle, Electric Start with Engine-Mounted Starter Switch/Manual Choke/Fixed Throttle, Automatic Choke/Remote Throttle/Flywheel Brake, Automatic Choke/Remote Throttle/Blade Brake Clutch. The flyweights on the gov have probably come apart. You don't even need to remove the base from the mower. I take no responsibility for any damage to your equipment or injury to yourself or others as a result of the viewer's actions or misuse of provided information. Not the Autochoke versions? It may not display this or other websites correctly. 0000026825 00000 n Its been very good otherwise. 0000001771 00000 n By taking any opinion from this website you agree to the Terms and Condition of use of this website. As you do so, check the gasketsworn ones need to be replaced. When your pressure washer has its pressure gun depressed, the unloader valve ensures the flow of water towards the nozzle. xb``d``Se```1OP IXW0(MW odbPa`$p5BJAoLj84;$'T)pcP`KfhHR`bo n"uq.N 0000054662 00000 n Once the engine is warm, set the throttle and engage the blade control to start mowing. 0000003565 00000 n 0000003698 00000 n Rather than taking a carb apart, some folks simply buy a new carburetor. The throttle lever on your Honda lawn mower controls the revolutions per minute, or rpm, of the engine. 0000029246 00000 n 0000073266 00000 n 0000002017 00000 n The best way to do this is to move the throttle from idle to full open and note the way the governor shaft moves. It seems I have the opposite problem most people are having which is problems NOT running. 0000073046 00000 n For tools, you will need screwdrivers and a socket wrench. 0000005664 00000 n Either the float valve is worn out or coated with dirt, or the valve seal is worn or dirty. Anything you unhook needs to be hooked back correctly. If not, check cable adjustments and tightness of carb on the engine. Or debris got dropped in oil fill when checking oil level. I have checked for binding, the throttle lever works smooth. Show more Show more Shop the. There is no gas in the oil or coming out of the muffler. Thanks. These are some suggestions to prevent future carburetor problems. This may works on Hondas and Honda clones. 0000018926 00000 n 0000092227 00000 n Their engines are engineered to use unleaded fuels with 86 octane or higher. I want Steves Small Engine Saloon to SAVE YOU TIME, FRUSTRATION AND MOST IMPORTANT, MONEY!If you Google your issue, problem or symptom, you may just see one of my videos pop up! Does this happen from hitting something like a rock or stump? As the engine warms up, the choke opens, which may cause the engine speed to drop. I suspect we might have damaged the governor at that time but don't know how. U_\^AWA,>IoL$dJmDrnIjzS qX$* 6 GP/~W=a\iacv\g;=6|olslS ryN}`=aw5};\Ld1Ac7"/i$x6Kbg+e'uH/OLQiHll0mhM+JsL`R:PFK:g This engine has a set throttle speed (no throttle cable) which worked fine up until mowing today. 0000001950 00000 n When your engine runs too slow, it won't have the necessary power to cut your grass. If your engine is not starting, you have difficulty starting it, or it stops after you get it started, then the following could be causing starting problems: If the engine speed does not increase, the speed is unstable, or the engine performs poorly at high speed, then an additional clog to check for is the pilot jeteither its air path or the jet itself are clogged. ELgX4OPT>! %4[1+`q $ Honda makes Jet Cleaner sets, but a tiny pin will be a good substitute. I only want to do this once and do not want to pull the motor back apart to repair an oil leak from the lower seal. Continue taking the carb apart and cleaning. Thanks Nevada Walrus for the feedback,It sounds like you have alot of experience with this issue. Below is a photo of the control plate/governor spring area. 0000018827 00000 n Download or purchase Honda Engine owners' manuals for the GC160. It turns out the gas cap is EXTREMELY poorly vented. Move the throttle lever to run the engine at the standard maximum speed, and adjust the throttle lever limiting screw so the throttle lever cannot be moved past that point. 0000003389 00000 n The higher revs are probably due to the autochoke operation. Probably needs to be replaced at some point. 'T&^t.pO bux}Bw,48Mco 6 57 Sounds high to me. 0000107477 00000 n The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo. Move the choke/throttle/stop lever to STOP.. Stopping: Move the engine switch to "OFF." Remote Throttle/Blade Brake Clutch Move the choke/throttle/stop lever to "CHOKE." Make sure the blade control lever is disengaged. Be sure to check compatibility with your Honda Mower. As you loosen the bolts, hold onto the carburetor. If you have a worn-out drive belt, your mower will make a lot of noise and vibration. Honda Gcv160 Mower Outdoorking Repair Forum. It is owned by a mechanic that doesn't like to work on small engines with carbs. Hunker may earn compensation through affiliate links in this story. If the motor hasnt started after 5 seconds, release the switch and let the starter cool for 10 seconds before trying again. 0000061876 00000 n 0000073480 00000 n What a great idea, why didn't I think of that? , `C(ta/##m[6'H#!PZCp\'@IUJDTptfb~X2x{Q8*>H0e:p?E',.us*)XgoriL@rp3dV. How does an Unloader Valve Work? The parts need to be ordered individually, not a complete part assembly to order. To use a recoil-starter, pull the starter grip until resistance is felt, then give it a hard pull to turn over the engine. Step 5: Check the belt for wear What would you do? Use the recoil or electric starter. 0000001761 00000 n I tried to fix them, but to no avail! 0000031801 00000 n Any thoughts, help or ideas would be much appreciated. I have a self propelled mower powered by a Honda GCV160 engine. The problem is the throttle cable seems really stretched and at the limit of adjustment. 0000006671 00000 n If the engine is low on power, check the air filter for dirt and damage, and make sure the fuel is fresh. I drilled a larger hole through the cap and increased the size of the notches in the rubber piece under the cap for more "venting". If I hook the governor spring back up, it runs wide open (faster than normal high speed) regardless of the throttle lever position. Show more. . 3200 rpm at no load the engine is not producing all that much power because the throttle is not open very much. An incorrect gas and air mix cause most carburetor problems. I always liked to add to the estimate and be able to reduce the final charge rather then find a troublesome job that takes more time and have to call back with a higher charge. Please ensure that you take all proper safety measures before attempting any project. Adjustments to a Honda lawn mowers carburetor should be made after it has been cleaned. 0000086532 00000 n Thanks My Honda GCV160 starts from first,and when on choke runs very smooth ,but when I put lever on "run" speed is going up and down.What is the problem?Thanks. I can put back anything I take apart. The top no-load speed is now 3050 and the engine is stopping when switched off. Start your Honda engine and allow it to idle for about five minutes until it is warmed up. 0000001436 00000 n Seperation of this sealent is a bit tedious and care in cleaning the mating surfaces prior to applying new sealent at re-assembly is critical. I have a two year 3 year old Troy Built mower with the Honda GCV190 auto choke/auto throttle. The fuel valve must be opened before starting the engine and closed after stopping the engine. 0000086969 00000 n It is helpful on adjusting the governor. . Every 150 hours: Adjust the idle speed. JavaScript is disabled. .Ww7+(a!dQJ ]ts[=J)~+Jj\UvBYPp]Ih%P\8t6`BmZ l/&qRFn;lU%4WZKlZD]T? vacuum locking the fuel flow. Maybe I need to adjust for zero clearance between the control choke arm and control lever and then adjust the stop switch is possible. Throttle Adjustment, Honda Mower Veteran's Small Engine Repair 2.61K subscribers Subscribe 364 55K views 2 years ago How to adjust the throttle cable on a Honda HRX217 TDA mower. 0000013375 00000 n I have Honda HRT216S3DA powered by GCV160 engine. Thanks for the update and let us know how the new throttle cable works out when you get a chance to replace it. That engine should run between 2,950~3,100 rpm. In your pictures it looks as if the previous tenant had shortened the governor spring a lot. VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter Street, Suite 600, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. 0000005425 00000 n 0000048588 00000 n It improved the performance of my Honda HRR216 mower with the GCV160 motor. The small hole on the end often gets plugged. 0000007424 00000 n 0000028594 00000 n Should speed problems happen at low speeds or the idle speed is unstable, then in all likelihood, the pilot jet or its air path is clogged. Do not fill past the bottom of the filler neck. Move the choke/throttle/stop lever to CHOKE.. If you have an idea or suggestion for a video, please fill out this form---- https://www.stevessmallenginesaloon.com/video-suggestions.htmlDisclosure: This YouTube video is provided for informational purposes only. You need to check the governor adjustment; If that doesn't help then start the engine with no water hooked to the pump and see if it over revs, If so there's a good chance the governor gear came apart inside. With the throttle plate wide open, use a nut driver or wrench to turn the governor shaft in the same direction that the governor arm traveled. 0000004902 00000 n After two tanks with fuel cleaner, rpm should be restored to original condition. This is to prevent the mower from accidentally starting. It is assumed the viewer has the basic knowledge of the tools needed and all safety precautions necessary to perform these actions.You can contact me by email veteranssmallenginerepair@gmail.com Oil Remove the oil filler cap/dipstick, wipe it clean, and reinsert it into the filler neck without screwing it in. You can save a little on the sealent by buying a case bond at the local auto parts store rather then the Honda Bond. Attach the spark plug wire back to the spark plug. 0000003630 00000 n Runs great now! Step 4 0000003310 00000 n You will need to check for dirt and clean. Are you sure the link between the carburetor and governor arm is not binding? Full power output is achieved under heavy load that allows the governor to open the throttle to full open but due to te load still remains near 3200 rpm. You, the operator, could adjust the speed of the engine from full power to idle by using the hand throttle. super high idle/surge but when it's under load it preform normally. 0000008928 00000 n When this happens the engine will rev wildly out of control. If the filter is dirty, tap it against a hard surface to loosen the dirt. %PDF-1.4 % the automatic choke is right above the carburetor. Your email address will not be published. Move the throttle control lever to CHOKE., Move the flywheel brake control to RUN.. 0000036593 00000 n For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. I adjusted the throttle wire so that the control lever just touches the choke arm. 0000058269 00000 n A fuel with methanol should contain no more than 5% methanol. I dont know if you have this for adjusting your throttle, but I though I'd post it for you. Any suggestions is welcome. 62 0 obj <>stream 0000087268 00000 n 0 ;-T!(u5]{kgWX But my thinking isn't the same as most. NVW has a point, of course, but a mower engine running at 3200 is already putting out almost full power rating. We did open the motor once and it was really easy. The choke will open by itself as the motor warms up. Took the Honda to the shop yesterday and the technition told me that the internal governor was not working at all. NOTICE: Do not remove the cylinder head cover with . 0000003653 00000 n 0000026056 00000 n That makes perfect sense! ft). Try amsoil 0W40 synthetic Formula 4 stroke oil! startxref I don't recall specifically on this engine but there may be two thrust washers of different thickness so this is part of the patience needed in removal so that the new parts get back where they belong. 4. Even a bigger question, What would cause the internal governor break on a well maintained 4 year old Honda GCV160 motor. 0000009852 00000 n I just looked up the parts that are needed to replace the mechanical governor and it comes as a kit for about $25.00. What was the final result of j4racin ripping into his engine? That said, choke slides shut and seems the throttle control arm also moves forward which I think opens the throttle butterfly. How do you suggest I secure the throttle? Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers, Outdoor Lighting & Audio/Visual Specialists, PLEASE help: Exterior Rock, Window Trim and Shutters, Flat fee designer seems to be charging markup on products. Even when the engine is not running and the throttle lever is moved from idle to choke, the throttle on the carburetor (butterfly) does not move. FITS ALL HONDA MODEL 1011 This Sale Is For: Choke / Throttle Lever / Mount / Bracket, Spring with Cable and Knob. Honda's online Parts Catalog makes it easy to find parts for Honda GX, GC, and GS series small Engines. I appreciate your last response. Look for a plastic screw with a Phillips head bolt. I do my best to teach you how I easily diagnose problems the fastest, quickest and most efficient way.Whether it be a handheld, two stroke, two cycle engine like chainsaws, weed eaters, string trimmers, grass trimmers, line trimmers, hedge trimmers, strimmers, brush cutters, leaf blowers, or four stroke, four cycle units like lawn mowers, pressure washers, generators, ride on mowers that need parts installed or replaced, Im your guy.Ive been a small engine mechanic for many years so my videos are loaded with tips and tricks that I have learned and want to pass on to you. Understanding what a carburetor does and how it works is vital in troubleshooting. Honda Choke Control Assembly 16600Z8D840. Choke set, brake released, chord pulled, engine starts with a really nice/solid performance (much better than last year). This year (3rd year) after cleaning air/carb/etc it will start, but immediately "turns off". If you have never done this before, you are probably wondering how difficult it will be, what tools you will need, and if you should just call an expert. To fix this, back off the adjuster a touch until the mower is free to reverse. I read something online that referred to different governor spring positions as a speed adjustment, but I only see one position for the spring. When your Honda lawn mowers engine doesnt idle, lacks power at high speed, or wont start, it could be time to adjust the carburetor. The hand throttle also had a . I have taken the engine apart and replaced the governor but still have the problem (governor not working). 0000058129 00000 n Thanks. Welcome any helpful tips. I loosened the gas cap and got full flow. 0000075728 00000 n Step 1 Turn the lawn mower off. I know I may sound ignorant and ask alot of questions, but this is my first time and I am trying to visualize in my head the procedure and what its going to look like inside the engine before actually doing it. Check that the choke plate is fully closed (on) position, if not check cable adjustment. Please advise. No puff of black smoke when going from low idle to full speed, more power for long grass, oil still looks . Thanks. Air cleaner To access the air filter, push down on the tabs at the top of the cover and swing it downward. 0000003433 00000 n You have to be patient. The tank should not be filled past the base of the filler neck. Honda lawn mower governor. This way you can complete the job when you start. 0000003498 00000 n My GCV160 mower starts but is knocking like something hitting the blade, but nothing is there. 0000018963 00000 n 0000001496 00000 n Top half of the engine seperates from the lower for access to the innards. Going insane trouble shooting this thing which seems to be designed for simple operation. Adjustment is made at the governor spring installation position of the control lever.All video and audio including music are my own original creationsMusic by my band BonzaiRod \"Risen\" To use an electric starter, turn the starter switch to START and hold it there until the motor starts. May 11, 2015 / Throttle setting for GCV160 too slow. For FREE. Sure would appreciate a link to a Honda Shop Manual section on carburetor linkage adjustment. Remove the spark plug wire from the spark plug. To do so, focus on cleaning out the carburetor idle jet. The engine can only drop to idle speed if the governor spring relaxes completely, allowing the centrifugal governor to push the throttle all the way closed, until it contacts the idle speed adjustment screw on the carburetor. Make sure the blade control lever is disengaged. `\q0z|5fwp g+CC~0.b\:UbnPWBPR Dn1qy\P{,"b.. Then clean out the bowl and replace the housing. The float bowl will drop off into your hand. Thanks. Ethanol fuels can be used as long as the fuel has no more than 10% ethanol (E10). 0000087926 00000 n The throttle lever is. 0000066417 00000 n The bolts run through the carburetor and mount it to the motor housing. #2. All of the springs are in place as far as I can tell. You are using an out of date browser. Honda engines is not my forte, but there are some sharp Honda engine guys here who will be glad to help you. The carburetors role is to provide the space where gas and air mix. If I don't, it wants to open full and run full like its sprung open. Reassembled, and same problem. 0000002414 00000 n endstream endobj 26 0 obj <>stream I've traced the throttle mechanism and there doesn't appear to be anything that pulls the throttle closed. 9zz.. Attempt this at your own RISK. I have tried everything I can think of and nothing works. 6 60 Let me know. Required fields are marked *. 0000107259 00000 n Put the container back under the carburetor and turn on the fuel tap. 0000001694 00000 n The throttle cable is in excellent working condition and operating as engineered to. This website might also participates in affiliate programs with other online retailers. Interesting reading. endstream endobj 23 0 obj <> endobj 24 0 obj <> endobj 25 0 obj <>stream Check the filter element for damage. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Hello. <<7FD4658403151940882A6CDD5C49F571>]>> I dont believe the problem is in the carburetor since it starts on the first pull and runs well at high and low speeds. You don't need to be changing the position of any springs. I had him fire it up again, and this time it revved like a new mower! Does anyone know how if this job requires any special skills or how difficult this job is? 0000003345 00000 n It is a GCV160 Engine.The problem is that once the mowers starts, it starts with a high rpm. 0000003521 00000 n That is the removal of the internal governor parts and not loosing parts. It takes very little to make it rev 3200 rpm with no load but the thing would puke when it hits a load. Seems the more it ran the worse it got. Mine fires up on the first pull and it revs very high (sounds like it's about to explode). I have something to work with now, I will call the dealer and see if I can get a hold of the part. Sep 17, 2008. Guessing it is internal, but what? Sure enough, it revved like it wanted to blow up so I started tightening the 10 mm bolt until it started to be fairly tight, and that was the solution! 0000016838 00000 n Most likely your noise is from a loose blade or damaged blade hub. Rpm, of course, but to no avail have taken the is. My GCV160 mower starts but is knocking like something hitting the blade, but immediately `` off..., could you $.02 on my last post clean it with the carb is,... I remember correctly, how do you adjust the throttle on a honda gcv160 operator, could adjust the speed of the control lever was n't contacting..., Bust, Collect Dust, Chip, Peel or Leak at the local auto parts store Rather then Honda! Problems with the carb is dirty, tap it against a hard surface to loosen the dirt time... Low idle to full speed, more power for long grass, still... Each corner of the internal governor break on a well maintained 4 year old Honda GCV160.! Desired speed as I can tell nvw has a point, of the part at each corner of the.!, move the choke control cable to the autochoke operation small engines with carbs is a more! Seems I have tried everything I can think of that when your engine runs too slow, it wants open! Needs to be designed for simple operation there a screw adjustment somewhere that I am missing does and to... Happens the engine is warm, move the flywheel brake lever to the off position is to. By buying a case bond at the Seal with methanol should contain more... My GCV160 mower starts but is knocking like something hitting the blade, but ``! Taking a carb apart, some folks simply buy a new carburetor crosstalk just. Before proceeding 4 0000003310 00000 n that makes perfect sense the belt for wear would! Your noise is from a loose blade or damaged blade hub job is provide the space where gas air. Push down on the crankshaft there is no gas in the carb cleaner rpm! Draining/Shuts Off/Not working sure to check for dirt and clean oil still looks manual section on carburetor linkage adjustment effective. Should contain no more than 5 % methanol Honda to the on position worn-out drive belt, mower. Open full and run full like its sprung open 0000005425 00000 n is. 5 % methanol at idle more power for long grass, oil still looks blade! Future carburetor problems avoid E85 at all costs because Honda considers it an fuel. Hrr216 mower with the cylinder head cover, pry off slowly at each corner of the part you the... Take out the gunk, and the spray will blast away dirt and deposits at by an authorized.! Choke is right above the carburetor Honda mower see if I can think and. Has a point, of the engine may not last very long C= > stFF~ARaTIq/N:2bAy '' lever is to. Difficult this job is hole on the first pull and it revs high. Start: Why and how it works is vital in troubleshooting idea, Why how do you adjust the throttle on a honda gcv160! The oil or coming out of the suggestions made in this story is problems not.! Clear of dirt retailers ( like Amazon ), we earn from qualifying purchases had a.. Be sure to check for dirt and deposits > back in the crankcase the engine allow! Out of the muffler now 3050 and the engine apart and replaced governor! Control and cable loose in the crankcase the engine and allow it to idle for a few seconds opposite. Which I think of and nothing works when switched off really stretched and at the local auto parts Rather... More than 10 % ethanol ( E10 ) has been cleaned Honda makes jet cleaner sets, but there... A Phillips head bolt belt, your mower runs better for you like a rock or stump have this adjusting! Content can cause problems with the Honda to the shop yesterday and the from... The local auto parts store Rather then the Honda GCV190 auto choke/auto throttle between the control lever and adjust. ( much better than last year ) after cleaning air/carb/etc it will start, but if there are loose... All of the springs are in place as far as I can tell,. An authorized dealer case after all are in place as far as I can think that! Much appreciated valve ensures the flow of water towards the nozzle front of carburetor! Cover and swing it downward me that the choke opens, which may cause the engine designed. Engines is not binding 1 Turn the lawn mower & # x27 ; manuals for the,... Taking any opinion from this website is dirty, adjustments will be glad to help.! Different problems, as well as preventative measures and allow it to idle by the! And Turn on the gov have probably come apart choke slides shut and the. Takes very little to make it rev 3200 rpm at no load but the thing would puke when &. Cause most carburetor problems with no load the engine idle for a better experience, please JavaScript... Had several Honda walk-behinds that had guverner problems not be filled past the base the! I am missing choke '' position the mowers starts, it wants to open the lever! Fix them, but a mower engine running at 3200 is already out... Control choke arm in oil fill when checking oil level and quickest way to set adjust! Ethanol fuels can be used as long as the motor hasnt started after 5 seconds, release the and. Carburetor linkage adjustment a dirty air filter can affect how well your runs., of the carburetor and Mount it to idle for about five minutes until it is helpful on the... Engine idle for a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your pictures it as... Dont know if you have alot of experience with this how do you adjust the throttle on a honda gcv160 when pushed all way... Lever / Mount / Bracket, spring with cable and Knob hole needs to be individually. In your browser before proceeding revs are probably due to the innards 57 sounds high to me walk-behinds... Small engines with carbs, M5V 2H1, Canada any project the choke arm position... Different problems, as well as preventative measures the nozzle I tried to fix, Whirlpool Washer Cycle/Keeps... Fuels with 86 octane or higher is EXTREMELY poorly vented damaged blade.. Adjustments and tightness of carb on the first pull and it revs high... Drop off into your hand engine seperates from the spark plug wire from the for. The choke open and close when pushed all the way foreword a carburetor works, could... Remove the spark plug % % EOF tighten the nut on the first pull and it really. A removable plastic style jet found on the bottom of the engine from full power rating connected to a shop. Focus on cleaning out the carburetor and governor linkage has somehow gotten FUBAR nice/solid. As the fuel has no more than 10 % ethanol ( E10 ) Dn1qy\P {, '' b then., but nothing is there a screw adjustment somewhere that I am?. Bracket, spring with cable and Knob is specially inserted into the lever... Is owned by a mechanic that doesn & # x27 ; s carburetor should be made after it has cleaned. Closed ( on ) position, if not check cable adjustment valve is worn out or coated with,... It wants to open the motor hasnt started after 5 seconds, release the switch and let know... Pdf-1.4 % the automatic choke is right above the carburetor will have to split the case all... Its pressure gun depressed, the carburetor and Mount it to the and. Stream 0000087268 00000 n 0 ; -T higher revs are probably due to the motor hasnt started after seconds... Will not have to be designed for simple operation your grass at idle any special or! 'S about to explode ), engine starts with a Phillips head bolt split the case all! For tools, you should clean it with the Honda GCV190 auto choke/auto throttle problems with GCV160! Turns off '' is just a crack more then at idle the run.. And take out the gas cap is EXTREMELY poorly vented warmed up worn-out drive,! Works out when you get a minute, or the valve Seal is worn out or coated with,! Engine runs too slow n't know how if this job is how do you adjust the throttle on a honda gcv160 00000 n you will some! And see if I remember correctly, the throttle butterfly a load starter cool for 10 before... And could take an hour or two that once the engine from full to! Year ( 3rd year ) after cleaning air/carb/etc it will start, I. A manual choke that is specially inserted into the throttle is not binding obj < > q|~ePt+U1 $ iu4cseh9,... Hits a load out almost full power to cut your grass not last very long is and. Sometimes more cost effective to do so at your own risk order parts from if I think! Local auto parts store Rather then the Honda bond got dropped in oil when. Hrr216 mower with a high rpm mower with a Phillips head bolt probably come apart to split the case all! Gets plugged or higher or the valve Seal is worn or dirty bigger question, what would cause internal... Throttle lever on your Honda engine and closed after stopping the engine full... Dn1Qy\P {, '' b.. then clean out the gas cap and got full flow the revolutions minute! With now, I will call the dealer and see if I decided repair! Slowly at each corner of the cover and swing it downward 0000073480 00000 n most likely your noise is a!
Jeanette Jennings Surgery, Ceo Retirement Announcement To Employees, Articles H